[lca2018-announce] Hello and welcome to linux.conf.au 2018!

Bruce Crawley bruce at lca2018.org
Sun Jan 21 12:04:42 AEDT 2018

This is your welcome briefing with everything you need to know to
arrive, register and kick off LCA 2018!

As an attendee at LCA, we’ll be sending you a briefing email each day
this week with important updates and announcements. We’ll also keep
https://linux.conf.au/gday up to date with this info too!

Along with your boarding pass, we’d recommend you store this email in a
safe place for Monday morning.

Location
Registration and conference opening will be in UTS Tower Building 1
(CB01). You can follow campus signage to CB01 or use the following
links:
* Google - https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/UTS+Tower+(Building+1)
* Openstreetmaps - http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/182489335
* UTS pdf map
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RC-iK8oib1Py3G6C4axX2GRQfuWNI7p1/view?usp=sharing

On arrival to CB01, follow signage to the Great Hall on level 5 where
you’ll see the registration desks. If you’ve arrived from the street
front on Broadway, it’s immediately ahead of you and up one level via
lifts or stairs.

Finding your way
UTS has a wayfinding site (http://wayfinding.uts.edu.au/) that you can
use to find your way around campus. Here is a direct link to the Great
Hall foyer for registration
(http://wayfinding.uts.edu.au/uts/signs/0000/maps/building?destination_id=28595&icons_filter=&destination_level=05&destination_building=01).

Registration
Registration will be available:
* Early registration: 3pm - 5pm Sunday
* From 8am on Monday morning.

By now you should have received a boarding pass email with a QR code for
your ticket(s). Please save, bookmark or print this QR code so that you
can show it at registration. We’ll be registering hundreds of attendees
in a short space of time and your QR code will help keep registration
flowing.

Once registered please keep your lanyard on you at all times. Your
lanyard is your key to building access etc. and its important that UTS
security can see you wearing a LCA lanyard.

Swag
If you purchased a t-shirt or other inclusions these will be distributed
throughout the week. Our wonderful team at registration will be focused
on getting you registered and ready for conference opening by 9am.

First time at LCA?
If it’s your first time at LCA don’t panic! Our very own Hugh Blemings
will be running a dedicated welcome session at 4pm on Sunday afternoon
in the Great Hall. Don’t worry if you cannot make it to the welcome
session - we will also include all the essentials that you need to know
in the conference welcome on Monday.

Announcements & notifications
General announcements and news will be shared on the mailing list! If
you haven’t already subscribed to the mailing list, head on over to
http://lists.lca2018.linux.org.au and make sure you’re subscribed to
lca-chat. A copy of each day’s announcements will also be available at
https://linux.conf.au/gday.

Call for session chairs!
We’ve now opened up registration for session chairs! You can register as
a session chair by going to the schedule and finding the “Volunteer!”
link next to each session. To find out more information you can visit
the wiki -
https://wiki.linux.conf.au/wiki/Session_Chairs_-_How_can_I_volunteer_to_help

Where to get help
There are plenty of ways to get help if you’re lost or need to clarify
anything. We’re keeping an eye on #lca2018 on Twitter, #linux.conf.au on
freenode (link to wiki) and of course the mailing list
(http://lists.lca2018.linux.org.au).

This is a welcoming, inclusive and safe conference! If you feel unsafe
please reach out to the team via https://linux.conf.au/safety. Listed
here are a number of ways to contact the team.

If there is a major emergency you can dial 6 from a campus phone or call
UTS Security on 1800 249 559.

Most importantly, relax, smile and enjoy the week ahead! LCA is an
iconic and memorable conference and we know you’re going to love it!

Happy Conferencing!

Linux.conf.au 2018 team