[lca2018-chat] Delays through list server

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at atrad.com.au
Sat Jan 20 13:10:59 AEDT 2018

Hi all

Observing that many people replied to Duncan's email on the basis that there
had been "no replies yet", and seeing that my own reply took ages to appear
on the list, I took a look at the delivery headers.  I found this:

        by mailhost.linux.org.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7B2BF14E9
        for <lists.lca2018.linux.org.au-lca2018-chat at mailhost.linux.org.au>;
        Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:53:02 +1100 (AEDT)

The email itself was sent just before 11:23 Adelaide time, which was 11:53
AEDT.  However, the mail was delayed for a full hour on
mailhost.linux.org.au for unknown reasons.  Katie Bell's response was also
delayed through the same system but only by around 10 minutes:

 by mailhost.linux.org.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id 54F4914E9
 for <lists.lca2018.linux.org.au-lca2018-chat at mailhost.linux.org.au>;
 Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:58:49 +1100 (AEDT)

Other respondants experienced varying delays.

While the delay is not fixed it can obviously be substantial at times.
Presumedly the server's load is high for some reason: perhaps with the
conference approaching it's getting flooded by spammers.

I guess we'll have to keep this in mind: when posting to the list, be aware
that the message could be delayed by a substantial length of time.  If a
more immediate delivery is required IRC or Matrix might be the better bet.

Regards
  jonathan