[lca2018-chat] Keysigning BOF

Simon Lees simon at simotek.net
Mon Jan 15 20:48:31 AEDT 2018

On 15/01/18 17:56, Cera Davies wrote:
> Hey there
>
> Glad this is happening, some quick thoughts -
>
> At the last keysigning event I went to (not at LCA), I couldn't get
> anyone to sign my key because at the time the name on my photo ID did
> not match the name I go by. This was despite being well known by my name
> in the room as well as going by that name publicly all over the web, on
> the website of my employer, etc.
>
> I'd like to respectfully suggest that keysigners at LCA reflect for
> themselves on what it means to strictly require government-issued photo
> ID as proof of identity over and above all other forms of social
> identification, what kind of people may be excluded on that basis, what
> kind of difficulties it could create for those people, and (most
> importantly) whether it pushes away some of the people who could benefit
> the most from security and involvement in our community. Of course I'm
> not asking people to be less serious about verification - just to
> reconsider how it should be judged.
>
> In my own view, we've created a very impoverished distributed security
> platform if we tut-tut and frown when asked to sign a key without a
> document of proof from the state.

This is one of the reasons I like keybase.io, when your contributing to
open source software I don't really care about your name or what you
look like, but if I can trust and verify that your github account, git
commits websites and emails etc are all coming from the same identity
thats all thats really important because I can see and trust the work of
that identity.

Unfortunately because I don't know you its hard for me to come to a key
signing and sign your key, whereas if I didn't know Daniel I could look
at his official ID and go that is probably him and sign his keys.

If I worked with you or spent a lot of time at a LUG / Hackerspace etc
and could see that you clearly use that as your identity everywhere i'd
probably sign your key. Although I'm somewhat new to this and may not
know if thats technically correct.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30