[lca2018-chat] Font used to render badge?

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 23:58:02 AEDT 2018

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 11:40 PM, Shaun Walker <shaun at theshaun.com> wrote:

> Pity, I quite liked the ones from last year, so many great approaches to
> visualing things on badges, but certainly understand the cost of colour vs
> black ink!

The decision hasn't actually been about cost - more to do with wanting to
be able to print badges on-demand.

To do that and keep up with the rates we expect at peak times we need to be
able to spit them out quickly. Getting the templates (with all the fancy
color bits) pre-printed and loaded into a B&W printer to add in the name
text is the tried-and-tested way to get a combination of looking good and
still able to print quickly enough to keep up with the queues.

Last year's team pre-printed badges, which had some advantages (they looked
fantastic! and nobody had to stress about printers breaking down in the
middle of rego, or running out of toner, or being bitten by evil DRM
randomly deciding that the cartidge was too old and refusing to work any
more) but also some disadvantages (we've heard, anecdotally, although this
is not universally accepted, that having to rummage in a stack of badges to
find the one that matches the person in front of you is slower and more
frustrating than pressing a button and picking up the next badge out of the
printer)

The ideal combination would be enough speed to print the badges on demand,
in full-duplex, in full colour, in 10 seconds or less per badge.