[lca2018-chat] Request for friends travelling from US to LCA

Arjen Lentz arjen at openstem.com.au
Thu Jan 4 14:06:15 AEDT 2018

Hi Chris

> YMMV, and IANAL, but:

Indeed. URAP.

> Technically, if it's a new and unused good whose purchase price
> exceeds AUD$900, you have to declare it at the border and pay 10% GST
> + import duty on the goods too, unless you can demonstrate an
> intention to bring the camera back home with you when you finish your
> trip. This may be difficult if the receipt for the goods has Arjen's
> name on it.

a) the camera kit is USD 600-something, which translates to AUD 800-something;

b) I have never in my life been required to show a receipt or other proof for professional gear I carry across a border; (I have however been required in the UK to prove that my daughter was actually mine)

c) I have never seen my gear inventory recorded on entry so that it can be checked off on exit;

d) I never been asked, on country exit, that I have everything with me that I brought in, or haven't acquired anything new.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
OpenSTEM Pty Ltd: Educational Consulting, Resources & Facilitation
W https://openstem.com.au | P 1300 009 385 | T @AUOpenSTEM