[lca2018-chat] Arjen's new laptop

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Tue Jan 30 13:15:15 AEDT 2018

As someone who watches consumer kit quite closely, this looks really
good, but for a fairly critical omission. No thunderbolt3.

If you want the low-down on why I have the opinion that is a
'must-have' port and why plain ol usb3/usbc is problematic; then go
3/4th through my talk on 10Gbit to the home where I give a brief
comparison between the two.

A lot of people still really like the PCIMCIA/Expresscard
functionality on their older laptops - thunderbolt is better and gives
you direct external PCI-Bus expansion; and as bonus Free 10Gbit
networking AND UsbC 3 compatibility.

https://youtu.be/0xSA0ljsnjc?t=2075

-Joel