[lca2018-chat] reusable cups / waste (was: Star cup bottoms)

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 17:26:11 AEDT 2018

> On 27 Jan 2018, at 11:04 am, Craig Ringer <craig.ringer at 2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> Please just make 'em optional. Reusable cups people don't use because they have too many aren't a win either.

I like that idea. I vaguely remember at least one previous LCA (or pycon?) let people choose between a keepcup and some other swag item

I’m not sure that making it optional helps reduce waste though. If you only order cups for people who ticked the box saying they want a cup, you’d (probably, I’m guessing, based on my experiences this time) have to close orders around Christmas time - and that means about 40% of attendees won’t be offered the choice because they order after the deadline

The alternative seems to be to order based on expected numbers and risk having excess stock; which makes professionals less upset but results in organisers from LCAs long post turning up this year with their excess keepcups that they’re *still* trying to get rid of ~6 years later

I’d love to hear alternatives, or support for one of these options.

I love the idea of reuseable cups that get washed during the day. We investigated using reusables for the morning/afternoon breaks but the UTS caterers didn’t have enough to cater for our numbers, and wouldn’t have been able to wash them on site fast enough even if they did - we’d have had to arrange them being driven off-site each night for washing

> I don't really need another laptop bag or shirt either. Though this year's little bag will be handy, it's not Yet Another Laptop Satchel With Branding like most confs.

<3