[lca2018-chat] The Tomu in your Welcome Pack

Sean Cross sean at xobs.io
Sun Jan 21 23:07:42 AEDT 2018

Welcome to LCA2018!

As part of your welcome pack, you will find a Tomu USB device. This is a
small, open-source computer designed to live inside your USB port.  Our
crowdfunding campaign ends on 8 February, but we've got a pre-production
unit just for you.  More information about Tomu, including hardware
schematics and source code, is available at https://tomu.im/.  Here's
some quick information.

Your Tomu unit comes without a case.  If you have a high-resolution 3D
printer, you can print a case from
https://github.com/im-tomu/tomu-hardware/blob/master/case/tomu_0.3_case.stl.
If not, you can fold over a thick piece of paper and use that to make
contact.  Business cards work well for this approach. Remember that Tomu
was designed to be left in your USB port.

The default software includes only the default serial bootloader. We've
developed a Device-Firmware-Update bootloader that you might want to use
instead.  The new bootloader can load code using dfu-util, which is
likely present in your package manager.  We've brought the factory test
jig here to LCA, and you can use it to flash this new bootloader.  It's
a quick three-second process, and gives you a peek into how the factory
process works.

We have a simple blinking demo available at
https://github.com/im-tomu/tomu-samples, and a more complete sample U2F
firwmare available at https://github.com/im-tomu/chopstx/tree/efm32/u2f

To program software, you can either use Xmodem (if you have the default
serial bootloader) or dfu-util (if you have the newer DFU bootloader).
You should load the .bin file, not the .ihex file or .elf file.

If you have any questions about Tomu, feel free to contact me via
sean at xobs.io, or find me around LCA.

Sean