[lca2018-chat] Trains

Ewen McNeill lca2018 at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Sat Jan 20 18:49:39 AEDT 2018

On 20/01/18 15:27, Jethro Carr wrote:
> Sydney airport train is fantastic as long as you’re physically ok carrying
> your suitcase(s) up stairs. Very quick and only about $16.

There are lifts at several stations, including the airport stations
(lifts + escalators, IIRC you may need to use both) and Central (nearest
station to UTS; lifts, stairs, and escalators in various combinations
from memory).  You'll need to look signs to figure out which direction
to head for the lift.  Certainly this trip in Sydney I didn't have to
carry my suitcase up any stairs -- lifts and ramps were sufficient at
Central -- for which I was grateful.

At least at the airport Opal cards appeared to be free -- just pay for
the value you needed on the card, rounded up to the next $10 AFAICT, so
$20 covers Airport to City (about $16.50 on Opal?) and leaves a little
extra.

At the airport you can also get single-use "airport to city" passes from
the ticket machines (around AU$18 IIRC) if you don't think you'll use an
Opal card again.  (Beware that AFAICT most Sydney buses are Opal card
only, so if you think you might use any public transport the LCA week it
may still be worth getting the Opal card.)

And yes, Sydney Airport Train was very quick.  About 20 minutes from
arriving at International station until I was at Central station,
including time at the stations.

For reference:

https://wiki.linux.conf.au/wiki/Transport

has a bunch of detail now.

And:

https://wiki.linux.conf.au/wiki/Airport_arrivals_and_departures_page

might help with figuring out if anyone else is arriving close enough to
your time that it's worth trying to organise a Taxi / Uber / something
else.  As someone else said if you have 2-3 people a Taxi is probably
cheaper overall and potentially gets you to the door of where your're
staying too.

Ewen