Tim 'mithro' Ansell me at mith.ro
Tue Dec 19 19:40:06 AEDT 2017

Hi!

<Sorry if you receive this message twice, but some people were
 subscribed before it had been completely written!>

Thank you for signing up for the "Create Hardware with FPGAs, Linux
and Python" FPGA Project Miniconf
(https://linux.conf.au/programme/miniconfs/fpga/).

You have being added to this mailing list as there will be important
announcements sent out regarding prework that is required to be done
before the miniconf starts.

The FPGA Miniconf is on Tuesday, 23 January 2018 and is all day, you
**won't** be able to attend other events on that day. The prework will
be sent out around the 1st Jan (hopefully early, but should be no
later). The tutorial organisers will be available on Monday, 22
January 2018 to help with people stuck on the pre-work.

We will be using Xilinx Vivado as part of the Miniconf. Vivado is free
as in beer but not free as in freedom. It is the only non-FOSS tool
used.

As Vivado is 16GB and may take many **hours** to download. Please get
a head start by downloading and installing the Xilinx Vivado
toolchain. Follow the instructions here;
https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/wiki/Xilinx-Vivado

As a reminder,

> Everyone attending the tutorial must have completed the prework
> before the tutorial. The prework will be checked at the start of the
> tutorial and anyone who hasn't done the pre-work will be asked to
> leave, even if they have a valid ticket (no refund will be given).

Looking forward to an exciting Linux.conf.au 2018!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell
FPGA Project Miniconf Organiser